One of my readers commented the other day that a manager at her store refused to let her stack a Target store coupon with a manufacturer’s coupon on the same item. I’ve never found this to be the case (although I have come across misinformed cashiers), so I set off in search of an official Target corporate coupon policy.
Not surprisingly, I didn’t find an official policy online. Walmart is one of the few stores that I’m aware of that has the corporate policy in black and white and publicly accessible. I came across a few sites that had a Target coupon policy listed that they had received from Guest Relations, but as they had not been posted recently, I decided to email Target Guest Relations myself to get the most current version.
They were very speedy with their response, and here is the information I received.
Thanks for asking us about using coupons at Target. Coupons are a great way to save even more when shopping with us, and it’s easy to use them at our stores. Because of the variety of coupons available to our guests, we do have some guidelines for how coupons can be redeemed at Target.
When accepting coupons, we use the following guidelines:
- We accept two kinds of coupons: Target-issued and manufacturer-issued.
- We’ll accept one Target coupon and one manufacturer coupon for the same item, unless either coupon prohibits it.
- We can’t give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item; in this case, we’re able to adjust the value of the coupon to equal the price of the item.
- We can’t accept coupons from other retailers, or coupons for products not carried in our stores.
- All valid coupons should be presented to the cashier while you’re checking out.
For questions about using a specific coupon, we encourage you to stop by Guest Service and ask to speak with the Guest Service Team Leader. They’ll do their best to help while you’re in the store. If you still have questions after speaking with them, please call our Guest Relations team at (800) 440-0680. Either way, we’re here to help!
I’d suggest printing this out and carrying it with you when shopping or at least keeping the Guest Relations phone number handy for disputes.