Photo by BigBreaks
SS, RP, P&G, WYB — say what?!? I often hear that one of the most confusing aspects of couponing is learning what all of those abbreviations that are used in the weekly deals mean.
Not sure what I’m referring to? Take a look at a deal that you might find posted in any given week:
Buy (4) Scrubbing Bubble Cleaners @ $2.49
Use (4) $1/1 Scrubbing Bubbles Product
Use (1) FREE $5 Target GC wyb Scrubbing Bubbles Products (SS 6/27/10)
Pay $6.96 OOP & get $5 Target GC
$0.49 ea. after coupons and GC!
Looks confusing, doesn’t it? But I promise you that it’s really very simple, once you learn the coupon lingo.
The list of coupon terms and abbreviations has been recently updated to include all of the abbreviations and lingo that I use in coupon matchups. But I have this niggling suspicion that I’m leaving something important off the list, so I’m hoping I can rely on you coupon pros to give it a quick once over and let me know if I’ve missed anything!
But back to those of you who are still wondering exactly how to read that deal, let’s take it line by line:
- Buy (4) Scrubbing Bubble Cleaners @ $2.49 — Buy 4 Scrubbing Bubbles Cleaners priced at $2.49.
- Use (4) $1/1 Scrubbing Bubbles Product — Use 4 of the $1/1 printable Scrubbing Bubbles coupons, available when you click on the underlined link.
- Use (1) FREE $5 Target GC wyb Scrubbing Bubbles Products (SS 6/27/10) — Also use the FREE Target gift card coupon from the Sunday SmartSource insert on 6/2/10. This is known as “stacking” coupons.
- Pay $6.96 OOP & get $5 Target GC — You’ll pay $6.96 out of pocket and receive a $5 Target gift card.
- $0.49 ea. after coupons and GC! — Your final price is $0.49 each after coupons and factoring in the gift card received.
This can get a little more complicated when you start factoring in ECBs and RRs, but we’ll cover reading the deals in more depth as we go on.
Homework assignment: Review and familiarize yourself with the list of coupon terms and abbreviations. If you think I’ve left off an important term or abbreviation, please let me know!